Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why Do People Hate Fat People?

While I was trying to fall asleep last night, I started to wonder why people hate fat people. In history, it seems, that one group's hate of another group stems from fear. People fear what they don't know or understand, but I don't think that is it. I think, in this culture of political correctness, people are running out of people to hate. It is no longer acceptable to judge people based on race or religion. Not that it was ever correct, but in years past correctness didn't stop anyone. Today, it is not tolerated.

What's a person to do? Hating someone gives the hater a sense of moral superiority. It's like early risers. I'm sure you know the type. The man or woman that gets out of bed at four or five in the morning and looks their nose down at anyone who might dare to sleep until 9:00 am. Somehow, we have infused getting up before light as a sign of virtue. While the poor, lazy, bum that dares to sleep past sunrise, is held as an example of sloth and all that is wrong with our society. I've never figured out why a person that gets their eight hours of sleep between 9:00p.m. and 5:00a.m. is somehow better than a person that gets their eight hours between 2:00a.m. and 10:00a.m.? Eight hours is eight hours.

I think this is the key to the question. People need to feel that in some fundamental way they are better then someone else. The easiest way to do that is to find something about a person that one can point to and and say, "Hey that's a choice you've made." People don't have a choice of skin color, nor do most make the choice of their religion as they are born into it. However, people can say, a person makes the choice of what they put in their mouths, and just like early risers it becomes a distinction between good and bad.

It doesn't matter that weight gain and loss has many components. It doesn't matter that some people, although few, have health issues that cause weight gain. It doesn't matter that if weight loss was as simple as eating or not eating, there would be no fat people. Our relationship with food is complicated to say the least, but none of that matters.

What does matter is that people can look at someone and point and simplify the issue to a question of willpower and self-worth. They can point and say, "You're fat. I'm not. That makes me better than you." Once they have made that leap in logic, it gives them permission to hate.

5 comments:

GroundedFitness said...

I think people judge fat people to feel better about themselves. everyone has something "wrong" with them, that manifests itself in different ways. Some have eating disorders, some do drugs, some are permiscuous, and some are just plain mean. Most people can hide their flaw, but fat people, unfortunately, have to wear it on the outside. for those that are uncomfortable or insecure with their own selves, pounce all over that, taking joy in the fact that by pointing out someone else's fault, they can further hide their own.

I used to be bulimic so I know what its like to abuse food for a deeper reason. the only difference was i purged afterwards. Making me eat wouldnt/didnt fix me, finding out why i hated myself so much was the trick, and now I am happily recovered.

People are overweight for a reason. for some it is genetics, but for most its something deepet that drives them to eat, and instead of taunting them into losing weight, perhaps we show some love and compassion to show them they are WORTH something, and they will start to take care of their health. BUT, no one knows anyone else situation, so its best to keep your damn judgmental mouth shut.

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Anonymous said...

No didn't Hate fat people. I just love them as they are with soft soft body. :) but man must look smart.
Diet Menus are prepared at affordable cost in order to maintain health and taste.

Omani Jewel said...

i donte hate fat ppl i am overweight myself but ppl want to cover there own inadiqusiews

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays! My name is Lisa Hope and I am the assistant editor of Disorder.org. I am contacting you today in hopes of developing a strategic partnership with your website; we have seen your site and think your content is great. Disorder.org is an online gateway for people to find information regarding disorder diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment -- and is continually adding content. More specifically, Disorder.org is starting a campaign to promote awareness about eating disorders of all types. If you're interested in a partnership, please contact me at lisa.disorder.org@gmail.com.

Scarfy said...

I'm questioning this same thing now. I really hope you check your comments because I'd love to get in touch with you and discuss body issues and weight stereotypes.

I'm not spam, I swear! I've started a website I call Fat Brides and recently I've been thinking about how people treat fat people who fly. Due to Kevin Smith's recent ejection from a Southwest flight.

Thanks for your time.