Monday, July 9, 2012

DOT Says Pigs Can Fly

The Department of Transportation in all its wisdom declared today that airlines must allow service animals on planes, including pot belly pigs and miniature horses.

Please know, this post is not about the need some may have for service animals to help them with their daily needs regardless of what type of animal it may be. I say, God Speed, and whatever gets you through the day is all right with me.

This is simply about the irony of it all. They throw fat people off planes for being too big to fly, but a horse or a pig, no problem. The article went on to say that if there wasn't a seat available for the animal, that a passenger might be asked to move to a new seat to accommodate the animal unless, that is, the passenger is willing share some of their floor space and leg room with the animal.

When's the last time someone was willing to share some of their seat with an overweight person let alone livestock?

Honestly, it boggles the mind.

I can hear it now, "Excuse me, ma'am, you don't mind if my pig sits in your lap do you?"

The passengers with these animals do have to promise that the animals won't go to the bathroom while on the plane. You know, I had a hard enough time house training my dog. I'm not sure I could get a horse to go...or not go...on command.

The airports will be required to have bathroom spaces and personal to take the animals for that all important last potty break before boarding.

All I'm saying is if a 300 lb pig can fly and not have to pay for an extra seat than so can I.

No comments: